- 2010 - Ph.D. Civil Engineering (Majoring in Structural Engineering), Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- 2000 - M.Sc. - Civil Engineering (Majoringin Structural Engineering),N.E.D University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi, Pakistan
- 1996 - B.E. - Civil Engineering, N.E.D. University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi, Pakistan
- Repairs of Steel and RCC Structures using Carbon fibre reinforced polymer’s (CFRP)
- Fatigue and Impact Loading on Structure.
- Experimental testing/validation of concrete and steel structures
- Finite element modelling (FEA) based design and repairs of Structures
- Designing and construction of Prestressed and Reinforced Concrete Bridges
- Software development for Structural Analysis
Country of Work & Experience: Pakistan
- Professor (Current- December 2011); Department of Earthquake Engineering;
- Associate Professor (June 2011-December 2011);
- Assistant Professor (June 2011 - December 2000);
- Lecturer (December 2000 – March 2000);
- Laboratory Engineer (March 2000 – May 1999)
- Department of Civil Engineering, NED University of Engg. & Tech., Karachi, Pakistan
- Responsible for teaching undergraduate and postgraduate classes.
- Responsible for Shake Table (STL) and Advance Material Testing Laboratories.
- Currently deliberating collaboration with GeoHazards International, USA, (HEC-USAID Project) on Earthquake Engineering aspects and mitigation.
- Supervising examinations and undergraduate final year projects.
- Planning of academic calendar activities.
- Structural Consultant on various projects being built within the NED University, foremost, School for employees of NED University constructed at the main campus and the Up gradation of Lecturer Theatre for the Department of Civil Engineering.
- Responsible for Post Graduate Computational Centre.
- Monitoring progress and generic improvement of the Departmental operations.
- Coordinating industrial liaison for enhancement of graduate programmes and research grants.
- Strategic Financial planning and manage Asset finances.
- Student counselling.
- Administer of link between Water, Engineering and Development Centre (WEDC) of Loughborough University, UK and Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture, NED University, Pakistan under the Higher Education Links Programme and British Council, Pakistan.
- Organizer and speaker of International and National Technical Courses for the professional engineer and undergraduate students in collaboration with Asian Centre for Engineering Computations and Software (ACECOMS), A.I.T., Bangkok, Thailand and Computers & Structures Inc. (CSI), Berkeley, U.S.A.
- Team Member of HEC-USAID Project collaborating with GeoHazards International, USA, on Earthquake Engineering aspects and mitigation.
August 1996 – August1999
A.A. Associates, Planners and Consultants, Karachi, Pakistan
- Structural Engineer in junior and senior posts, and in an independent capacity
- Analysis and Design of reinforced concrete, prestressed and steel structures
- Conversant with ACI code, BS code of practice, AASHTO, Pakistan Highway Codes
- Vetting and strength evaluation of special structures, re-strengthening, repairing of structures
- Monitoring and reporting on deterioration, stability of damaged structures
- Supervision aspects, tender documentation, specification writing and management of resources
Major Projects as member of Design Team
- Second Talibwala Bridge on river Chenab., National Highway Authority (NHA)
- Chakri Bridge on river Soan, N.H.A
- Peshawar G.T. Ring Road Project, Govt of N.W.F.P., P.D.A.
- Chiniot Bridge Project (West Channel Bridge on river Chenab), N.H.A.
- Bridge over River Porali Near Bela (N-25), N.H.A.
- Shah Faisal Colony Flyover (Super Structure), Govt. of Sind, K.D.A.
- Islamabad – Peshawar Motorway (M-1), N.H.A.
- Bridge near Ghazi Ghat, N.H.A.
Major Projects in Individual Capacity
- Bridge at Chhalat , Northern Area P.W.D Gilgit.
- Bridge Over Mehar Branch at RD.45, Govt. of Sind, Irrigation & Power Deptt.
- Bridge Over Mahesro Wah at KM 527 on N-5. , N.H.A.
- Bridge Over Rohri Canal at RD 295, Govt. of Sind, Irrigation & Power Deptt.
- Shayar Bridge, Northern Area P.W.D Gilgit.
- Bridge Over Surkhab Nullah, Govt. of Baluchistan, C & W Deptt.
- Approaches To 2nd Talibwala Bridge, N.H.A.
- Bridge on Torkhan Nullah Sanjavi Hamai Rd,Govt. of Baluchistan, C & W Deptt.
S.F.A. Rafeeqi, S.H. Lodi, R.A. Khan, N.M. Zafar, An adaptive monitoring model for the ageing assessment of concrete containment vessel, Ned University Journal of Research, Vol. VII, No. 1, 2010.
Refereed International Conference
- A.J. Sangi, R.A. Khan, I.M. May, Behaviour of Damaged Reinforced Concrete Beams under Impact Loads, in the Proceedings of the First International Conference of Protective Structures, Manchester, UK, 2010.
- I.M. May, M. Roy, C. Lang, R.A. Khan, The use of advanced carbon composites for the repair of fatigue cracks in steel structures, in theProceedings of the Advanced Composites in Construction (ACIC), Edinburgh, UK, 2009.
- S.F.A. Rafeeqi, S.H. Lodi, R.A. Khan, Bridge Database Management System (BDMS), in the Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Construction in the 21st Century (CITC-II), “Sustainability and Innovation in Management and Technology”, Hong Kong, December 2003.
A Practical Guide to Nonlinear Static Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Buildings with Masonry Infill Walls, prepared by Mr. Mohammed Aslam Faqeer, Dr. Rashid A. Khan and Dr. M. Selim Gunay, Post-doctoral Researcher, University of California, Berkeley, technical reviewers, Dr. Khalid M. Mosalam, Professor, University of California, Berkeley, Dr. Gregory G. Deierlein, Professor, Stanford University, Mr. David Mar, Principal Structural Engineer, Tipping Mar, Berkeley California and to be published through GeoHazards International, USA.
Achievements and Honours:
- Recipient of Overseas Research Studentship (ORS) and James Watt Scholarship, full paid scholarship (£75000/-) for three years (2006-2009) for PhD Studies at the School of Built Environment, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.
- Facilitated a grant of £21,000/- for three years towards the development of Faculty of Civil Engineering on sustainable research, under the HEC-BC sponsored link programme (2004-2007).
- Recipient of US$1200/- grant for presenting the paper at the CITC-II, Hong Kong Conference in 2003 by Computers and Structures Incorporated (CSI), Berkeley, USA.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, Pakistan Engineering Council
- Member, American Concrete Institute
- Member, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute